Cooking time: 30 minutes
Preparation: 15 minutes
1 pound lean lamb
1 pound fresh spinach, trimmed
2 teaspoons, virgin olive oil
1 onion, sliced
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
3 tablespoons low-fat yogurt
1⁄8 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- Trim any fat from lamb and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Cut spinach into 1/4-inch strips.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil and sauté onion until softened. Add lamb, turmeric, coriander, ginger and chili powder. Simmer, stirring, 10 minutes until meat is browned.
- Stir in spinach and remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water if needed and simmer 15 minutes more, until meat is tender.
248 Calories, 81 mg Cholesterol,
8 g Carbohydrates, 29 g Protein,
163 mg Sodium, 11 g Fat (3.6 g. Saturated Fat)
Exchanges: 3 meat, 1 1/2 vegetable
Recipes adapted from:
Light & Easy Diabetes Cuisine
written by Betty Marks, Surrey Books.