- Juice of 1 lime (2 tablespoons)
- 1 small jalapeño pepper with some seeds, minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unrefined peanut or flaxseed oil
- 1 large fresh peach, pitted and finely diced
- 3 scallions, green and white parts, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, gently rinsed and drained (1½ cups)
- 48 blue corn or sweet potato tortilla chips
- Add the lime juice, jalapeño, salt, and pepper to a medium bowl. Whisk in the oil until well combined. Stir in the peach, scallions, and oregano until combined. Stir in the beans and adjust seasoning.
- Arrange the tortilla chips on a platter around a bowl of the salsa, and serve at room temperature. Alternatively, serve individual portions of salsa with the chips.
One serving: After stirring in the beans in step 1, transfer ⅓ rounded cup peach and bean salsa to a small bowl. Stir 2 ounces picked-over, premium, wild claw lump crabmeat chunks into the mixture in the small bowl. Adjust seasoning.
Full recipe: Stir 1 pound picked-over, premium, wild claw lump crabmeat chunks into the peach and bean salsa in step 1. Adjust seasoning.
Exchanges/Food Choices: 1½ Starch, 1 Fat
150 calories, 50 calories from fat, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 200mg potassium, 22g total carbohydrate, 3g dietary fiber, 4g sugars, 4g protein, 90mg phosphorus
Exchanges/Food Choices: 1½ Starch, 2 Lean Meat, 1 Fat
200 calories, 50 calories from fat, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 55mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 350mg potassium, 22g total carbohydrate, 3g dietary fiber, 4g sugars, 14g protein, 230mg phosphorus
Copyright © 2014 by Jacqueline A. Newgent, RDN, CDN. From The With or Without Meat Cookbook. Reprinted with permission from The American Diabetes Association. To order this book call 1-800-232-6733 or order online at www.shopdiabetes.org.