- 6 oz. baby spinach
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt, or use any plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- ⅛ red onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- ¼ bell pepper, any variety, finely diced (1/4 cup)
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, cover and steam the spinach for 2 minutes or until it wilts. Transfer it to a cutting board and chop it coarsely.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and whisk in the yogurt. Stir in the remaining ingredients, including the spinach. Using a small ladle or cup, pour the egg mixture into the muffin cups, filling them about ⅔ of the way full.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake it for 20 – 25 minutes or until the eggs are set. (Meanwhile, prepare the garlic cheese bread and the smoothies if you are serving them.) Let them cool for 5 – 10 minutes if time allows, and serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days, or freeze them for up to 3 months.
Tip: I put my pan in the sink before I spray it with nonstick cooking spray so the spray doesn’t get on the counter or floors (less cleanup that way).
Scramble Flavor Booster: Add ⅛ tsp. black pepper to the egg mixture and serve the quichelettes with salsa or hot pepper sauce.
Side Dish suggestion: Preheat the broiler or toaster oven. Split the pita pockets in half, separating the tops from the bottom. Top each half with the butter or margarine, sprinkle them with garlic powder, and top them with the mozzarella cheese. Put the bread under the broiler or in the toaster oven until the cheese melts and the edges of the bread turn golden, 2 – 3 minutes.