- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 large sun-dried tomato halves, not oil-packed, thinly sliced (do not rehydrate)
- Pinch sea salt, or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon crumbled soft goat cheese
- Bring the broth, sun-dried tomatoes, salt, and pepper to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Stir in the oats and chives, and reduce heat to medium. Stir, until the oats are fully cooked, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the yogurt. Adjust seasoning.
- Transfer to a bowl, sprinkle with the basil and goat cheese, and serve.
For one serving (full recipe): Do not add salt to the recipe. Instead of sprinkling with goat cheese in step 3, place ½ ounce thinly sliced speck (dry-cured smoked Italian ham) or prosciutto on top of the grits like it’s a rose.
Exchanges/Food Choices: 2 starch, 1 Vegetable, ½ Fat
240 calories, 50 calories from fat, 5g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 5mg cholesterol, 360mg sodium, 300mg potassium, 37g total carbohydrate, 6g dietary fiber, 8g sugars, 12g protein, 60mg phosphorus
Exchanges/Food Choices: 2 Starch, 1 Vegetable, 1 Fat
240 calories, 45 calories from fat, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 10mg cholesterol, 560mg sodium, 370mg potassium, 37g total carbohydrate, 6g dietary fiber, 8g sugars, 14g protein, 80mg phosphorus
Copyright © 2014 by Jacqueline A. Newgent, RDN, CDN. From The With or Without Meat Cookbook. Reprinted with permission from The American Diabetes Association. To order this book call 1-800-232-6733 or order online at www.shopdiabetes.org .