Asian-style Steamed Salmon
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Enjoy this simple, fast dish any weeknight,
- 1 C low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ C shiitake mushroom caps, rinsed and sliced (or substitute dried shiitake mushrooms)
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced (or 2 tsp ground)
- ¼ C scallions (green onions), rinsed and chopped
- 1 Tbsp lite soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil (optional)
- 12 oz salmon fillet, cut into 4 portions (3 oz each)
- Combine chicken broth, mushroom caps, ginger, scallions, soy sauce and sesame oil (optional) in a large, shallow sauté pan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower heat and simmer for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add salmon fillets and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Cook gently over low heat for 4 – 5 minutes or until the salmon flakes easily with a fork in the thickest part (to a minimum internal temperature of 145 °F).
- Serve one piece of salmon with ¼ cup of broth.
Tip: Try it with a side of Sunshine Rice
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 3 oz salmon, ¼ C broth
Each serving provides: calories 175, total fat 9g, saturated fat 2g, cholesterol 48mg, sodium 208mg, total fiber 1g, protein 19g, carbohydrates 4g, potassium 487mg