Chicken Broth Pilaf
Author: Cdiabetes Staff
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 1 cup white rice, soaked for 1 hour (or rinsed) and drained
- For Chicken Broth
- ½ pound skinless chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 small onion, peeled and halved
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 black cardamom pod
- ¼ tsp cloves
- Pinch of anise
- Pinch of nutmeg powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- For Curry
- 2½ Tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 1 tsp onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp garlic paste
- ¼ tsp ginger paste
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ cup yogurt
- ½ Tbsp fresh mint leaves, chopped
- For chicken broth, add all broth ingredients to a pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cook broth for about 15 minutes.
- Strain the broth, keeping only chicken pieces.
- In a large pan, cook oil over medium heat.
- Add onion to pan and sauté until golden brown.
- Add tomato, garlic, ginger and all spices to pan and cook, stirring continuously for about 3 minutes.
- Add yogurt to pan of curry ingredients and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Pour the broth into the pan of curry mixture and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add rice to pan and cook until all of the liquid dries up.
- Sprinkle mint over the top of the pilaf.
- Cover the lid of the pan tightly with foil paper.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until rice is cooked completely.
Serving size: ⅙ recipe Calories: 257 Fat: 9.1 g Saturated fat: 1.5g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 28.5 g Sugar: 1.7g Sodium: 434 mg Fiber: 1.3 g Protein: 14.2 g Cholesterol: 34mg