Red Snapper Provencal
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
A crispy, Mediterranean-style fish fillet with tomatoes, olives and anchovies
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz red snapper, bass, or tilapia fillets, cut into 4 portions (3 oz each)
- 1½ Tbsp garlic, minced (about 3 – 4 cloves)
- ½ C low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 C canned no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- ¼ C black olives, sliced
- ½ Tbsp anchovy paste (optional)
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped (or ½ Tbsp dried)
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottom sauté pan.
- Add fillets, and sauté over high heat for 4 – 5 minutes on each side or until each side is golden brown and the fish flakes easily with a fork in the thickest part (to a minimum internal temperature of 145° F).
- Remove fillets from the pan, cover to keep warm and set aside. Drain excess fat from pan but do not clean.
- Add garlic to sauté pan and cook for about 30 seconds until it begins to soften. Do not brown.
- Add chicken broth to the pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add remaining ingredients and return to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve each fish fillet with ½ cup of sauce.
Tip: Try serving with a side of steamed broccoli and crusty
bread or whole wheat Bow Tie Pasta with Puttanesca Sauce.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 3 oz fish, ½ C sauce
Each serving provides: calories 216, total fat 10g, saturated fat 2g, cholesterol 43mg, sodium 341mg, total fiber 2g, protein 25g, carbohydrates 6g, potassium 518mg