- ¼ cup red lentils
- ¾ cup brown lentils
- 4 cups water
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon dry cilantro, ground
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup of sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- ⅛ cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Soak both lentils in a bowl filled with water for one hour or more. Overnight is best.
- After soaking, drain the lentils and place in a saucepan. Add water, garlic, salt, pepper, turmeric and cilantro.
- Bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium-low, cover and let simmer for about 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- When the lentils are about to cook, heat oil in a saucepan and sauté onions until lightly golden. Add the cumin and fry for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add sautéed onion along with oil and milk. Cook 5 minutes more over low and then sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot with whole-grain bread or boiled rice.
Calories: 238 Fat: 5.5 g Saturated fat: 0.5 g Carbohydrates: 33.0 g Sugar: 1.3 g Sodium: 598 mg Fiber: 8.6 g Protein: 13.9 g