20 Minute Chicken Creole
This quick Louisiana dish contains no added fat and very little salt.
Recipe type: Main
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1 C canned whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1 C chili sauce
- 1½ C green bell pepper, rinsed and chopped
- 1½ C celery, rinsed and chopped
- ¼ C onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced (about 2 – 3 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp oil or butter
- Heat the oil or butter over medium-high.
- Cook chicken in hot sauté pan, stirring for 3 – 5 minutes. Reduce heat.
- Add tomatoes with juice, chili sauce, green pepper, celery, onion, garlic, basil, parsley, crushed red pepper and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer, covered for 10 minutes.
Serving size: 1.5 c Calories: 274 Fat: 5 g Saturated fat: 1 g Carbohydrates: 30 g Sodium: 383 g Fiber: 4 g Protein: 30 g Cholesterol: 73 g
Tip: Delicious served over rice.