Chicken, Barley, and Bow-Tie Soup A hearty version of a favorite remedy with barley and pasta is one of my favorites.
For more recipes like this, lLook for Holly’s Eating Well Through Cancer cookbook, which is now also available in a Spanish edition, Alimentándose biendurante el cáncer.
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 8 cups low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 2 cups bow tie pasta (uncooked)
- ½ teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 2 cups skinless coarsely chopped Rotisserie chicken
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In large nonstick pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté celery, onion, and carrots, 5-7 minutes. Add broth and barley. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover, and cook 20-30 minutes or until barley is done.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside. When soup is done, add basil, chicken and season to taste. Heat 5 minutes.
- Terrific Tip: If experiencing taste changes, add extra seasonings as needed to perk up your taste buds. Serve the soup in a mug and if temperature bothers you, serve only warm or room temperature.