- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1½ cups Arborio rice
- 6 oz. baby spinach
- 24 oz. reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 8 oz. sliced cremini or baby bella mushrooms
- ¼ tsp. salt-free lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 cup shredded or grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- 1 Tbsp. sherry, (optional but great)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large oven-proof stockpot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook them for about 5 minutes or until they are tender.
- Add the rice and stir to coat it. Stir in the spinach, broth, mushrooms and lemon pepper.
- Bring it to a boil and simmer it for 7 minutes. (Meanwhile, start the cauliflower, if you are serving it.)
- Stir in ¾ cup cheese, and then sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup cheese on top.
- Cover the pot and bake it for 25 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the oven, stir in the sherry (optional), and return it to the oven for 5 more minutes, uncovered.
- Serve it immediately, topped with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Scramble Flavor Booster: Add 1 – 2 cloves minced garlic with the onions, and double the lemon pepper seasoning.
Tip: Arborio rice is short-grain Italian rice used for making risotto. It is not to be confused with orzo, which is actually a rice-shaped noodle.