Minced Meat with Black Eyed Peas
Recipe type: Main
- 2 Tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp fresh ginger, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Salt (to taste)
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ pound ground chicken
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- ½ cup water, divided
- 16 oz can black-eyed peas, drained
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Pour oil into a pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add ginger and garlic to skillet and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add seasoning and cook while stirring for about 1 minute.
- Add chicken and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until chicken starts to turn white.
- Add tomato to chicken and seasoning mixture and cook while stirring occasionally for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup of water to skillet and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer chicken for 5 minutes.
- When water gets dry, add black-eyed-peas and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining water and lemon juice to skillet and simmer until the oil separates.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro before serving, if desired.
Serving size: ⅕ recipe Calories: 173 Fat: 7.7 g Carbohydrates: 13.7 g Sodium: 106 mg Fiber: 3.4 g Protein: 14.3 g Cholesterol: 28 mg