Tasty Beef & Bean Chili
Author: Costco Staff
- 2 pounds lean beef stew meat, trimmed of fat, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 pounds tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups canned kidney beans
- Brown the meat in large skillet with half of vegetable oil.
- Add water. Simmer covered for 1 hour until meat is tender.
- Heat remaining vegetable oil in second skillet.
- Add garlic and onion, and cook over low heat until onion is softened.
- Add flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic-onion-flour mixture to cooked meat.
- Add remaining ingredients to meat mixture.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve chili with a mixed green salad with tomatoes, cucumber, and peppers topped with reduced-fat or fat-free salad dressing.
Serving size: 8 oz. Calories: 284 Fat: 2 gm. Carbohydrates: 16 g. Sodium: 162 mg. Fiber: 4 g. Protein: 33 gm. Cholesterol: 76 mg.