Bengali Dhal (Moshur daal)
Author: Cdiabetes Staff
- 1 cup red lentils (Moshur daal)
- ¼ cup onions, thinly sliced and divided
- ¾ cup onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves coarsely chopped garlic
- 4 cups water
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- ¾ cup tomatoes (optional)
- 3 green chilis, one finle chopped, the other two sliced longitudinally
- Wash the lentils thoroughly in a strainer. In a saucepan, boil the lentils in water over medium-high heat for 10 min. Add ¾ cup chopped onions, half of the sliced garlic, turmeric, tomatoes, bay leaf, green chilies sliced longitudinally and salt. Leaving them whole to add flavor. Cook until the mixtures thicken slightly and the lentils break apart, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, over medium heat, heat the oil in a skillet until the oil shimmers. Then add the sliced onions and rest garlic; cook and stir until it has softened and turned into brown, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the cooked lentils mixture and stir. Garnish with chopped coriander.
Calories: 240 Carbohydrates: 45g Fiber: 9 g Protein: 9g