Braised Cod with Leeks
A simple but elegant midweek meal.
Recipe type: Main
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups leeks, split lengthwise, sliced thin, and rinsed well
- 3 medium carrots, rinsed, peeled and cut into thin sticks
- 4 new (red) potatoes, rinsed and sliced into ½-inch thick disks
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, preferably homemade
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, rinsed, dried and chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
- 12 oz cod filets, cut into 4 portions (3 oz each)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Heat butter in a large sauté pan. Add leeks and carrots and cook gently for 3 – 5 minutes, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, parsley, salt and pepper and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer gently until the vegetables are just tender, about 10 – 12 minutes.
- Add cod filets and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Continue cooking over low heat for an additional 5 minutes, or until the fish is white and flakes easily with a fork (to a minimum internal temperature of 145 °F).
- Serve each cod filet with 1½ cups broth and vegetables.
Serving size: 3 oz cod, 1½ C broth and vegetables Calories: 158 Fat: 4 g Saturated fat: 2 g Carbohydrates: 13 g Sodium: 437 mg Fiber: 3 g Protein: 17 g Cholesterol: 42 g